Skip to main content

Happy Birthday

Waking up in the morning is a little different these days. As I said to Jim on Wednesday evening as we were preparing for bed, "I woke up this morning okay, now I'm going to bed as with cancer." Caregiver becomes patient.

Life has changed. I have read others talk about "life before/after" as being two different concepts and wondered if it really felt that demarcated, but the answer for me, at least for now, is yes. The life in which I took my health (and sanity?) for granted is done, now it's time to sit up and pay attention. Half-time is over, it's time to play serious ball.

This morning I received a lovely slap upside the head that was sorely needed. Miss Peyton turns 7 today. Four years ago Peyton was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia and is now a survivor. To my eye there are no physical reminders of what Peyton went through, but as I looked at her birthday pictures today I could hear her tell me to get over myself, to get on with it and (if Anissa will forgive the Peyton voice in my brain), to kick the cancer's ass, like she did.

Oh, don't get me wrong - I will still whine and bitch occasionally. And I'm still not at the point where I have really accepted what's happening, but I'm getting there.

Thanks, Peyton. <3

Comments

Susan Holzschuh said…
We will pray for you all and for the strength to kick it.
Les said…
Thank you, Susan.

Popular posts from this blog

All my bags are packed....

We'll be taking off from here in about 15 minutes. I've been spending my morning reading all the good thoughts and well-wishes from friends in the ether; I am overwhelmed and thankful for everyone. Your prayers and penguins make me feel very loved and empowered! I will update as I am able (what kind of blogger goes to the hospital and leaves her netbook at home, I ask? lol ) but for now, it's kick off time for Operation Kick Cancer's Ass!   See you guys on the flipside.

A rather timely find

I'm not sure who originally wrote this, but it was posted on my fave message board and I found it to be a rather timely piece and quite funny, considering my mood of late. Dear Mr. Thatcher, I have been a loyal user of your Always maxi pads for over 20 years, and I appreciate many of their features. Why, without the LeakGuard Core or Dri-Weave absorbency, I'd probably never go horseback riding or Salsa dancing, and I'd certainly steer clear of running up and down the beach in tight, white shorts. But my favorite feature has to be your Revolutionary Flexi-Wings. Kudos on being the only company smart enough to realize how crucial it is that maxi pads be aerodynamic. I can't tell you how safe and secure I feel each month knowing there's a little F-16 in my pants. Have you ever had a menstrual period, Mr. Thatcher? Ever suffered from "the curse"? I'm guessing you haven't. Well, my "time of the month" is starting right now. As I type, I can al