Skip to main content

I'm an odd, odd, woman

I am, here and now, admitting that I am yet another number to notch onto Facebook's belt. I can quit anytime, really. I can.

But wait - it goes deeper than that. I have. a farm. on Farmtown. Ah, yes, FT* toyed with me for a while, but it waited until a night of solitude to pull me into its web, as I screamed "Yes, I want to gift a friend!", and then finished me off.

I love my farm. It doesn't have much yet, but it actually is soothing to play. And in just a few mouseclicks and a couple of keystrokes, entire fields can be plowed and planted, in about 10 minutes. It's just that easy.

So, I'm harvesting a "field" and wondering how much time it would take a farmer to accomplish an equivalent amount in real life? And I'm not even breaking a sweat.

Farmers sweat. A lot. Even with modern equipment, there's just no getting around the fact that a farmer's work is physically demanding, sometimes heartbreaking, and frequently challenging. They till and plant and tend and harvest for months without knowing if they're going to make enough money to eat or keep their homes. In short, harder than most of the rest of us. And we get to benefit from their hard work, too.

So, the next time you see a farmer, say thanks. Buy produce. Because just a simple appreciation of someone for the value they add to your community, is just the right thing to do.

*Timesuck

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All my bags are packed....

We'll be taking off from here in about 15 minutes. I've been spending my morning reading all the good thoughts and well-wishes from friends in the ether; I am overwhelmed and thankful for everyone. Your prayers and penguins make me feel very loved and empowered! I will update as I am able (what kind of blogger goes to the hospital and leaves her netbook at home, I ask? lol ) but for now, it's kick off time for Operation Kick Cancer's Ass!   See you guys on the flipside.