Skip to main content

"so Mama, don't take my Kodachrome away...."



I've had an ongoing flirtation with photography since I was a kid, starting when I got my first Kodak 126 Instamatic at the age of 9 or so. Pictures, to me, are a tangible memory cue to happy times in my life and a photographic chronicle of my kids and grandkids during their journeys to adulthood and beyond. And to be completely honest, I do like looking at pictures of myself as the skinny young thing I was once upon a time. To take a picture is to grab a part of a memory to store it away for safekeeping.

That said, as much as I enjoy taking pictures, I fear I am not very good at it. I want to be, I think I can be, but when I take pictures and look at them critically afterwards, I don't like what I see. My current camera is a point-and-shoot Nikon Coolpix L100. It's a fine camera and easy to use, but I'm not very methodical about what and how I do things. I often don't remember what settings I use, so it's difficult for me to successfully edit my photos later to know what looks good. Additionally, I don't have a practiced eye, so what looks good to my untrained self might differ radically from what a pro would consider a good photo.

For instance:
The first photo here is dull, in my opinion. The colors don't pop and the details are slightly blurry.

The second photo is much brighter and shows more detail with less shadow, but when I zoom in it looks grainy, pixelated and overexposed. I'm beginning to wonder if this is an edit issue as opposed to how I shot it? Hmmmmm. (BTW, the lovely Nikon D70 centerpiece was my grad gift from my eldest who is tolerating my photographic apprenticeship quite nicely. Thanks, Meghann!)

I haven't decided if this one is the worst of the bunch, or the best of the bunch. Or why.









So, it's clear (at least to me) that I need some guidance and a big dose of patience if I want to become good at this, which I do. Um, help?

Comments

Patrick Mistler said…
If you want I got two books on photography that I can let you borrow. Just let me know and I can get them to Jim.
Les said…
That would be wonderful. Thanks, Patrick.
Mari Lehmer said…
Practice practice practice, and just rust in your judgement..BTW, 3 rd pic best

Popular posts from this blog

All my bags are packed....

We'll be taking off from here in about 15 minutes. I've been spending my morning reading all the good thoughts and well-wishes from friends in the ether; I am overwhelmed and thankful for everyone. Your prayers and penguins make me feel very loved and empowered! I will update as I am able (what kind of blogger goes to the hospital and leaves her netbook at home, I ask? lol ) but for now, it's kick off time for Operation Kick Cancer's Ass!   See you guys on the flipside.

A rather timely find

I'm not sure who originally wrote this, but it was posted on my fave message board and I found it to be a rather timely piece and quite funny, considering my mood of late. Dear Mr. Thatcher, I have been a loyal user of your Always maxi pads for over 20 years, and I appreciate many of their features. Why, without the LeakGuard Core or Dri-Weave absorbency, I'd probably never go horseback riding or Salsa dancing, and I'd certainly steer clear of running up and down the beach in tight, white shorts. But my favorite feature has to be your Revolutionary Flexi-Wings. Kudos on being the only company smart enough to realize how crucial it is that maxi pads be aerodynamic. I can't tell you how safe and secure I feel each month knowing there's a little F-16 in my pants. Have you ever had a menstrual period, Mr. Thatcher? Ever suffered from "the curse"? I'm guessing you haven't. Well, my "time of the month" is starting right now. As I type, I can al